The Casa Gorordo Museum was originally a house built in the mid-19th century by Alejandro Reynes Y Rosales and bought by Juan Isidro de Gorordo, a Spanish merchant, in 1863. Four generations of the Gorordo family lived in this house, including Juan Gorordo, the first Filipino bishop of Cebu in 1910-1932. Acquired in 1980 by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. the house was restored and later opened as public museum. The Casa Gorordo Museum has been declared a national historical landmark by virtue of national historical institute board resolution no. 4 dated September 24, 1991.
One of the three remaining old houses that dates back to the Spanish colonial period in the Pari-an district of Cebu, the Casa Gorordo is a lifestyle museum that features altar pieces, antique furnishings, paintings and relics that gives the guests a glimpse of the era that they haven’t seen.
The lower floor of the Casa Gorordo Museum traditionally served as storage space. It now houses the offices of the museum, an area for the art exhibitions and a small store. The house is built using the massive and tough coral stones, which most century-old establishments are built from. It has a roof made from tisa clay which weighs around 1 kilogram each piece. The second story has wooden floors and housed the antique furniture, costumes, books and memorabilia from the past. Noteworthy is the master’s bedroom that displays the collection of “sayas”. A small room found in the residence was used as a chapel whenever Bishop Juan Gorordo visits the house. The chapel displays a “pasyon” manuscript in Cebuano.
A typical balcony that runs the whole length of the dining room and kitchen is visible from the garden. The dining room is separated from the living room by an arch ornately carved with plants and birds. The garden is full of bougainvillea and has been religiously landscaped. A new service building, inspired by 19th century architecture, has been built beside Casa Gorordo Museum.
Situated in 35 Lopez Jaena St., Cebu in the Philippines and a hundred of meters away from the Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House, the Casa Gorordo Museum entices locals and foreigners alike. Both adults and children visit the place for a glance at Philippines’ history and wonders. It is a 4 minutes walk from the Cebu Heritage monument and 5 minutes walk from Colon Street Marker: the oldest street in the Philippines.
To get there, one needs to take a jeepney going to Colon. There are very less jeepney that passes along Casa Gorordo Museum so the best option is to stop by the Colon Street Marker and ask locals for the location. Just be sure to ask the driver first before taking the ride if he is going to the marker. Alternatively, you can take a taxi to go directly to the place.
Casa Gorordo Museum is open from Tuesday-Sunday from 10am-6pm. Admission fee is P70 for foreigners, P40 for adults (locals) and P15 for students (locals). You may contact them at (+63)(32)418-7234 loc 532 for reservation and more information.