Plaza de Roma


Located just across Manila Cathedral, a small disregarded park by the name of Plaza de Roma is located. Plaza de Roma was used to be called as Plaza de Armas when it was utilized as a locale for bullfights. The place was turned into a garden and the name was then changed to Plaza Mayor. It was then converted into a park in 1797 and renamed Plaza McKinley after the U.S. President William McKinley in 1901. Then it was renamed into Plaza de Roma in 1961 to honor the Sacred College of Cardinals in Rome following the elevation of first Filipino cardinal, Rufino J. Santos.

The bronze monument of Carlos IV of Spain at Plaza de Roma was erected in 1824 as a tribute for the introduction of the smallpox vaccine in the Philippines. The fountain was added in 1886. The Carlos IV statue was replaced by Gomburza (Gomez, Burgos, Zamora) monument in the 1960’s but was returned and reinstalled in 1981.

Because the name Plaza de Roma was termed after Rome, to return the favor, Rome also named one of their plazas as Piazza Manila.

Plaza de Roma

Plaza de Roma

Monument of King Carlos IV of Spain

Monument of King Carlos IV of Spain

Plaza de Roma is inside Intramuros in Manila. On one side is the Ayuntamiento, on the other side is the Palacio del Gobernador. 300 meters going southeast is the San Agustin Church and Museum, 300 meters going northwest is the Fort Santiago and further away is the Pasig River. If your itinerary includes Manila Cathedral, for sure you won’t miss Plaza de Roma.


This page is last updated on Jun 16, 2011 @ 1:48 pm
About the author
Mark Anthony Maranga Mark Anthony Maranga is a Web Designer based in Cebu, Philippines. He sells Balloons and Party Supplies in Mandaue City, Cebu and explores the Philippines tourist attractions. During his free time he take pictures and write blogs. Check his website design portfolio and know more about him.

Leave a Comment to this Article


PREVIOUS:

NEXT: